Soup with Chilli Herb Bread
- 1 (1.75kg) butternut pumpkin, skin on, halved, seeds removed
- 2 brown onions, skin on, halved
- 1 whole bulb garlic
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 4 tbs Crème fraiche
- ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 1 tbs chopped chives
- 2 tbs chopped continental parsley
- 1 tbs thyme
CHILLI HERB BREAD
- 60g butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbs chopped chives
- 3 tbs chopped continental parsley
- 2 tsp thyme
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- 6 slices sour dough, toasted
1 Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced. Place the pumpkin and onion, cut-side up into a lined roasting pan. Add the garlic bulb. Drizzle with the oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast for 1 hour or until pumpkin and garlic are soft and onion caramelized. Set aside to cool 15 minutes.
2 Using a large metal spoon, scoop the flesh from the pumpkin into a food processor. Discard the skin from the onion, roughly chop flesh and add to the pumpkin. Cut the garlic in half and squeeze the soft flesh into the processor. Process until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Stir in the stock. Place over medium heat and bring to gentle boil. Taste and season.
3 Meanwhile for chilli herb bread, combine the butter, herbs and chilli. Spread over the toasted sour dough.
4 Ladle the soup onto bowls, swirl through crème fraiche. Combine hazelnuts, chives, parsley and thyme, sprinkle over soup. Serve with chilli herb bread.