- 3 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 50g pecorino, finely grated
- mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce & lime wedges, to serve
1 For the pesto, place the garlic onto a board, sprinkle over the salt then using back of the a fork crush the garlic and salt to a smooth paste.
2 Transfer to a small food processor. Add the basil, pine nuts. Process until evenly chopped.
3 With processor running, pour the oil through the spout in a steady stream until all oil has been incorporated.
4 Transfer pesto to a bowl. Stir in parmesan and pecorino, season with pepper (see tip).
Tip To store unused pesto, transfer to a clean, sterilized jar. Cover the top of pesto with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil and store in the fridge.