and beetroot roasted salad
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 heads (325g each) broccoli, ends trimmed
- 2 medium beetroot, peeled, cut into wedges
- 2 green chilli, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 red onion, halved, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 400g can brown lentils, drained and rinsed
- 80g pitted green olives, halved
- 2 cups leaves (we used a combination of continental parsley and beetroot)
- 100g marinated goats cheese, drained, crumbled
- Extra virgin olive oil, to serve
1 Preheat oven 220°C fan forced. Scatter walnuts onto a tray, cook for 3-4 minutes until roasted. Set aside.
2 Slice the broccoli into 4 and arrange in a large roasting pan. Place the beetroot onto a sheet baking paper. Combine the chilli, garlic and oil. Spoon one tablespoon over the beetroot and rest over the broccoli. Season. Draw corners of baking paper together and twist to secure beetroot. Roast 30 minutes or until broccoli is tender and lightly charred and beetroot is tender when tested with a skewer. The beetroot may need longer, this will depend on the size of your beetroot. Cool to room temperature.
3 Meanwhile, combine the onion, juice from one lemon half and sugar. Set aside 20 minutes. Drain.
4 Add the beetroot and juices, lentils, olives, leaves, goats cheese, walnuts and onion to the broccoli. Toss gently to combine. Transfer to a serving platter or bowl, drizzle extra virgin olive oil and squeeze over remaining lemon. Season and serve.