- 1 large cauliflower
- 3 tbs olive oil
- ½ cup basil pesto (from recipe below)
- 1 long red chilli, finely chopped
- Basil leaves, to serve
- 3 small garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 cups firmly packed fresh basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 3/4 cup (180ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 50g parmesan, finely grated
- 50g pecorino, finely grated
- mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce & lime wedges, to serve
1 For the pesto, place the garlic onto a board, sprinkle over the salt then using back of the a fork crush the garlic and salt to a smooth paste. Transfer to a small food processor. Add the basil, pine nuts. Process until evenly chopped. With processor running, pour the oil through the spout in a steady stream until all oil has been incorporated. Transfer pesto to a bowl. Stir in parmesan and pecorino, season with pepper (see tip).
2 Preheat oven 220°C. Trim the cauliflower then slice into pieces. Place into a large greased roasting pan. Drizzle over the oil, season. Roast 20 minutes until golden and tender. Cool 15 minutes. Spoon over ½ cup of pesto, toss gently to coat. Top with chilli and basil leaves. Serve.
Tip To store unused pesto, transfer to a clean, sterilized jar. Cover the top of pesto with a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil and store in the fridge.