Olive And Goats Cheese Tart
- 1 bunch kale, washed, dried
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 4 green shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 green chilli, finely chopped
- 200g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup mixed olives, pitted
- ½ cup basil leaves, chopped
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 50g parmesan cheese finely grated
- 100g butter, chilled and chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1-2 tablespoons iced water
1. For the pastry, combine the flour, Parmesan and butter in food processor. Process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolk and 1 tablespoon water and process until the dough comes together, adding remaining water if necessary. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth. Press into a 10cm square. Wrap in greaseproof paper and refrigerate for 30 minutes until firm enough to roll out.
2. Preheat oven and large flat baking tray to 180°C fan forced. Remove the centre stem from the kale leaves. Shred the leaves.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the green shallots, garlic and chilli, cook for 3 minutes or until soft. Add the kale and cook, stirring, for 1 minute; leaves will just start to wilt. Transfer mixture to a large bowl, set aside to cool. Add goat’s cheese, olives and basil. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
4. Roll the pastry out to a 30cmx25cm rectangle. Spoon the kale mixture down the centre leaving a 2cm border. Fold over the edges, partially covering filling. Place onto the hot tray. Bake 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden. Stand for 5 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or cold scattered with extra fresh basil leaves.