Split with Beetroot and Walnut Salsa
- 1kg packet sweet potato, unpeeled
- 1 tbs olive oil
- extra virgin olive oil, to serve
BEETROOT AND WALNUT SALSA
- 1 bunch (700g) baby beetroot, trimmed, scrubbed
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp maple syrup or honey
- 1 tsp horseradish cream
- 4 green shallots/onions, finely chopped
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 tbs thyme leaves
- ⅓ cup walnuts, toasted, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven 200°C fan forced. Scrub the sweet potatoes under water with a clean brush. Pat dry. Pierce them all over, at least 8 times with a fork. Rub the skins all over with oil and season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
2. Put onto an oven tray and roast 40-55 minutes or until they are tender all the way through to the centre.
3. Meanwhile, for the salsa, wrap each beetroot in foil, place on an oven tray and roast under the sweet potato for 1 hour or until tender. Remove from oven. Cool 15 minutes. Wearing gloves to prevent staining, rub the skin from the beetroot. Discard the skin, dice the flesh.
4. Whisk oil, vinegar, maple syrup and horseradish in a bowl until well combined. Add warm beetroot, season then set aside to cool. Just before serving stir in the green shallots, chilli, thyme and walnuts.
5. Split the sweet potatoes down the centre with a sharp knife and ease open. Pile in the salsa and serve.
You can replace the raw beetroot with a 500g packet pre-cooked beetroot if your short on time.
To keep bunches of thyme fresh, wrap in damp paper towel then store in an airtight container in the fridge.