- 1 medium (250g) beetroot, peeled
- 200g butter, at room temperature
- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup plain flour
- ¾ tsp baking powder
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- 1½ cups caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cup (150g) walnuts, coarsely chopped
- cocoa powder, to serve, optional
- Grate the beetroot, you should have 1 cup. Spread onto a large microwave-safe dinner plate, cover with damp paper towel. Microwave for 2 minute until hot. Set aside to cool 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven 180°C conventional. Grease and line a 5cm deep, 20cmx 20cm (base) square cake tin.
- Melt the butter and chocolate in a saucepan over low heat, stirring with a metal spoon until smooth.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in the sugar. Add the chocolate mixture and eggs, stir until just combined. Fold through the beetroot and walnuts. Spoon into prepared pan and bake 35-38 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out with moist crumbs. Allow to cool in pan completely.
- Dust with cocoa, cut into pieces, serve.