- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbs curry powder
- 1kg sweet potato, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2½-3 cups vegetable stock
- 400ml coconut milk
- ½ cup brown rice
- 400g can brown lentils, drained, rinsed
- ½ cup greek-style natural yoghurt
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- chargrilled bread, to serve
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the onion, cook stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soft. Stir in curry powder, cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the sweet potato then pour over 2½ cups of stock.
2. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 15-20 minutes or until sweet potato is very tender. Stir in the coconut milk, set aside to cool slightly. Blend or process until smooth. Taste and season.
3. Meanwhile, cook the rice following the absorption method on the packet. Transfer to a bowl, stir in the lentils. Cover to keep warm.
4. Return the soup to the saucepan, bring to the simmer. Add remaining stock to adjust the consistency, if required. Spoon ½ cup rice and lentil mixture into serving bowls. Ladle in the soup. Top with a dollop of yoghurt and coriander leaves. Season with pepper and serve with charrilled bread.