Haloumi and Quinoa Brunch
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 bunch kale, trimmed, torn
- 500g haloumi, sliced
- 1 large avocado, diced
- ¼ cup chopped continental parsley
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- Baguette and lemon wedges, to serve
- 3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
1. Rinse quinoa under cold water, drain well then spoon into a medium saucepan. Add water. Bring to boil. Simmer for about 12-15 minutes, or until liquid is almost absorbed. Remove from heat, cover and stand 10 minutes.
2. For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients in a large bowl, season well. Stir in the warm quinoa. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
3. To poach the eggs; Bring a deep, saucepan of water to gentle simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low. Crack 1 egg onto a saucer. Slide the egg into the water. Repeat with a second egg. As the white sets, stir gently to form a whirlpool. Cook for 4 minutes for a soft yolk or until cooked to your liking. Use a slotted spoon to transfer to a plate. Keep warm. Repeat with remaining eggs.
4. Meanwhile, heat half the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add the kale and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until almost wilted. Transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining oil to the pan, cook haloumi in batches, for 2 minutes each side or until golden.
5. Stir the avocado, parsley and mint through the quinoa. Divide the kale and haloumi amongst serving plates. Spoon over the quinoa, top with poached egg. Season and serve with lemon wedges and baguette.