Coconut Chicken Soup
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 6 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 4cm piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 stick lemongrass, bruised, chopped
- 500g chicken breast fillets, trimmed
- 400ml can coconut milk
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced
- 1 cup bean sprouts, trimmed
- ½ cup thai basil leaves
- 1 cup coriander leaves
- 2 limes, quartered
1. Combine the stock, 2 kaffir lime leaves, cinnamon, ginger, green chilli, lemongrass and chicken in a saucepan over low heat. Bring to the simmer, simmer uncovered 10-15 minutes until chicken is cooked through. Remove the chicken to a plate, cover and set aside 10 minutes. Simmer the broth a further 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
2. Strain the broth through a fine sieve, discarding the solids. Return the broth to a clean saucepan. Add the coconut milk, fish sauce and remaining kaffir lime leaves. Bring to simmer.
3. Combine the red chilli, bean sprouts, basil and coriander. Remove the leaves from the broth. Finely shred the chicken.
4. Arrange the chicken in four serving bowls. Ladle over the hot stock mixture. Top with the beansprouts mixture. Serve with lime wedges.