Cream Cheese Icing
- 1 (250g) medium sweet potato, peeled
- 2 eggs
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- ⅔ cup light olive oil
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ cup hazelnuts, roasted, chopped
- 1 tbs cinnamon sugar, to serve
GINGER CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 250g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 cup icing sugar mixture
- Preheat oven 180°C fan forced. Grease 12x ⅓ cup capacity muffin holes. Grate the sweet potato, you should have 1¼ cups firmly packed sweet potato.
- Beat eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla with an electric mixer until thick and creamy. Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon over the egg mixture then stir gently to combine. Fold in the sweet potato and hazelnuts.
- Spoon into muffin holes so they are three-quarters full. Bake 18-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
- To make ginger cream cheese frosting, beat cheese, butter and ginger with an electric mixer until smooth. Add icing sugar, beating until thick. Spread frosting over top the cakes. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Serve.